BPG Corrugated Clamshell Box
Book and Paper Group Wiki > Housings > Corrugated Clamshell Box
Wiki Contributors: Sue Donovan, your name could be here
Copyright 2023. The Book and Paper Group Wiki is a publication of the Book and Paper Group of the American Institute for Conservation. It is published as a convenience for the members of the Book and Paper Group. Publication does not endorse nor recommend any treatments, methods, or techniques described herein. Information on researching with the wiki and citing the BPG Wiki can be found on the Reference and Bibliography Protocols page. The BPG Wiki coordinators can be reached at email@example.com.
Cite this page:
BPG Corrugated Clamshell Box. 2020. Book and Paper Group Wiki. American Institute for Conservation (AIC). Accessed May 28, 2023. https://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/BPG_Corrugated_Clamshell_Box
Diagram[edit | edit source]
Sequence of Operations[edit | edit source]
Sourced from Alan Puglia
- Measure book for height (H), width (W), and thickness (T).
- Cut board to following size:
- Length= 5(T) + 2(W) + 5.4 cm
- Width = 2(T) + (H) + 1.4 cm
- Mark for vertical folds, working from left and right edge inwards.
- Make vertical folds.
- Mark horizontal fold lines on both left and right edges.
- Trim out as indicated.
- Make horizontal folds. Note that folds on inner and outer trays are not aligned horizontally.
- If box "yawns" and won't stay shut by itself (often occurs in books <1" thick), you may adhere a small (1/4" to 1/2" piece of Velcro with PVA to the inner fore-edge of the outer tray and to the outer fore-edge of the inner tray.
- Use PVA to hold fore-edge walls in place.
- Via an exchange over Tumblr, University of Notre Dame Preservation and New York University Preservation shared their variations of the corrugated clamshell box. See here Tumblr exchange with NU and NYU Preservation, including informative GIF
- B-flute corrugated board (Gaylord has recently changed their supplier, so the board available is no longer baby-blue but a slate-blue color, with no other perceivable differences)
- PVA to hold fore-edge walls in place
- clamps (such as Irwin quick-grip) to hold walls while PVA dries
- scalpels or box-cutters
- bone or Teflon folders
|Paper Conservation Topics|
Surface Cleaning · Hinge, Tape, and Adhesive Removal · Washing · Sizing and Resizing · Bleaching · Enzymes · Chelating Agents · Alkalization and Neutralization · Humidification · Consolidation, Fixing, and Facing · Backing Removal · Mending · Filling of Losses · Drying and Flattening · Lining · Inpainting
|Book Conservation Topics|
|Structural Elements of the Book||
Endpapers · Endbands · Sewing and Leaf Attachment · Book Boards · Board Attachment · Book Decoration · Fastenings and Furniture
Washing of Books · Alkalinization of Books · Leaf Attachment and Sewing Repair · Board Reattachment · Use of Leather in Book Conservation
Animal Skin and Leather · Cloth Bookbinding · Paper Bookbinding · Parchment Bookbinding
Bookbinding Traditions by Region or Culture · East Asian Book Formats · Ethiopian Bindings · Greek-Style Bindings · Western African Books and Manuscripts