This page is maintained by members of the American Institute for Conservation's Sustainability Committee .
The information in the pages listed below has been gathered by the committee and is continuously updated. Contact the Sustainability Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments, or tips on sustainability and the conservation of historic and artistic works.
- What is Sustainability?
- The Importance of Sustainability
- Sustainability and your institutional mandate
- Sustainability and professional codes of ethics and guidelines for practice
- Sustainability and the Conservation Specialties
- Starting a Sustainability Committee At Your Institution
- Funding for Sustainability
- Related Organizations
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
Conservation-Related Work Practices[edit | edit source]
- Thinking about Sustainability and Material Use in Conservation
- Where to Begin: Finding Information About Specific Materials
- General Tips for Sustainable Material Use
- Reuse Materials
- Material Use in Renovations
- Waste Management
Information about Specific Materials[edit | edit source]
- Information About Specific Treatments in Conservation
- Information About Specific Chemicals in Conservation
- Information about Plastics
- Information about Papers and Boards
- Information about Conservation Supplies and Tools
- Information about Crates
- Information about Water
- TABLE: 11 Commonly Used Solvents by Stavroudis
- TABLE: Preferred, Useable, and Undesirable Solvent by Alfonsi et al.
Sustainable Energy Use[edit | edit source]
- Thinking about Sustainability and Energy Use
- Climate Control, Heating, and Air Conditioning
- Office and Lab Equipment
- Case Studies: Sustainability and Energy Use
Sustainability Case Studies[edit | edit source]
- The American Institute for Conservation
- Baltimore Museum of Art
- Mary Gridley of Cranmer Art Group
- The Indianapolis Museum of Art
- University of Pittsburgh
- New York Public Library
- Portland Art Museum, Oregon
Publications and Projects by the Sustainability Committee[edit | edit source]
AIC Newsletter Articles[edit | edit source]
- A Path Forward: 2020 Sustainable Practices Survey by Rachel Childers, Christine Oricchio, and Christine Romano. AIC News, Vol 45, no. 5 (Sept 2020).
- Beginning the Green Task Force This page is based on two articles published in AIC News in July and September 2008.
- "When the Well’s Dry, We Know the Worth of Water" This page is based on an article published in AIC News: Nunberg, Sarah. (2011) "When the Well’s Dry, We Know the Worth of Water." AICNews 36(2): 12-13.
- Plastics are Forever: Wraps, Tools, Films and Containers used in Conservation Practice This page is based on an article published in AIC News in 2011.
- Hazardous Waste: Where on Earth Should it Go? by Denise Stockman with contributions from members of the AIC Committee on Sustainable Conservation Practice. This article was originally published in Vol. 38 No. 2 of AIC News, March 2013, pg. 12-15.
- Can White Paper be Green? by Melissa Tedone and Robin Ohern, published in AIC News, September 2013, Vol. 38, No. 5, pg. 9-11.
- An Introduction to How the Manufacturing and Disposal of Adhesives and Paints Affects our Environment by Robin O’Hern, Geneva Griswold, Mary Elizabeth Haude, and Jia-sun Tsang as part of The Sustainability Committee, May 2015, Vol. 40, No. 3, pg. 14-17
- Sustaining the Unsustainable: Mitigation and Monitoring for Modern Materials By Whitney Baker, Kelly McCauley, and Jia-sun Tsang for the AIC Sustainability Committee, September 2015, published in AIC News
- Dangerous Detergents? Health and Safety answers for surfactant questions by Laura Mina and Geneva Griswold, May 2017, published in AIC News
- Museum-Quality and Sustainable by Christian Hernandez, September 2017, published in AIC News
Projects[edit | edit source]
- Green Task Force Survey Summary Report Presented at the Issue Session of AIC's 37th Annual Meeting on May 21, 2009, Los Angeles, CA by Patricia Silence, Chair
- Green Task Force 2010 AIC Presentation
- Sustainable Practices 2011 Survey Results This page is based on an article published in AICNews in 2012.
- Lunch session at 40th Annual Meeting. "Linking the Environment and Heritage Conservation: Presentations, Tips, and Discussions"
- Life Cycle Assessment Project (LCA)
- 5.8 Life Cycle Assessments: Lighting, HVAC, Loans, and Treatments poster presented at the 42nd Annual Meeting in San Francisco, May 2014
- Tips Sheet for Emerging Conservation Professionals handout for students and emerging conservation professionals, updated in 2018
- Material Matters tips poster displayed at the 2018 Annual meeting vendor hall booth
- Ask the Expert Series: LifeCycleAwareness (LCA) Discussion with Professor Shelie Mille. Professor Shelie Miller speaks to members of the AIC Sustainability Committee about her life cycle assessment (LCA) research which has led to some surprising findings that challenge and inform our instincts about what is an environmental choice.
- LifeCycleAssessment (LCA) discussion with Sarah Nunberg, Sarah Sutton, Dr. Matthew Eckelman, and Sarah Sanchez. This interview with industry experts provide details about Life Cycle Assessments (or LCA) and how they can be useful in making sustainability decisions in the cultural heritage field
- Geothermal Systems for Cultural Institutions, Part II. In part 2 of this series, dive further into the technical aspects of retrofitting historic buildings with geothermal systems with Mark Nussbaum, Principal Engineer at Architectural Consulting Engineers.
- Geothermal Systems for Cultural Institutions, Part I. Geothermal retrofitting of the Glessner House in Chicago from Bill Tyre, the Executive Director and Curator.
- Cost Effective and Sustainable Packing, Moving, and Storage coordinated by Geneva Griswald and Christian Hernandez on December 1, 2015
- Examining the Environmental Impact of Exhibitions and Loans using the Life Cycle Assessment Tool coordinated by Sarah Nunberg on December 8, 2015
AIC Annual Conference Program[edit | edit source]
- 2021 Annual Conference Program 49th Annual Meeting (Virtual)
- 2020 Annual Conference Program 48th Annual Meeting (Virtual)
- 2019 Annual Conference Program 47th Annual Meeting in New England
- 2018 Annual Conference Program 46th Annual Meeting in Houston, TX
- 2017 Annual Conference Program 45th Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL
- 2016 Annual Conference Program 44th Annual Meeting in Montreal, Canada
- 2015 Annual Conference Program 43rd Annual Meeting in Miami, FL
- 2014 Annual Conference Program 42nd Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA
- 2013 Annual Conference Program 41st Annual Meeting in Indianapolis, IN
- 2012 Annual Conference Program 40th Annual Meeting in Albuquerque, NM