This page is maintained by members of the American Institute for Conservation's Sustainability Committee .
The information in the pages listed below has been gathered by the committee and is continuously updated. Contact the SC at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments, or tips on sustainability and the conservation or historic and artistic works.
Introduction to Sustainability[edit | edit source]
- What is Sustainability?
- The Importance of Sustainability
- Sustainability and your institutional mandate
- Sustainability and professional codes of ethics and guidelines for practice
- Sustainability and the Conservation Specialties
- Starting a Sustainability Committee At Your Institution
- Funding for Sustainability
- Related Organizations
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
Conservation-Related Work Practices[edit | edit source]
- Thinking about Sustainability and Material Use in Conservation
- Where to Begin: Finding Information About Specific Materials
- General Tips for Sustainable Material Use
- Reuse Materials
- Material Use in Renovations
- Waste Management
Information about Specific Materials[edit | edit source]
- Information About Specific Treatments in Conservation
- Information About Specific Chemicals in Conservation
- Information about Plastics
- Information about Papers and Boards
- Information about Conservation Supplies and Tools
- Information about Crates
- Information about Water
- TABLE: 11 Commonly Used Solvents by Stavroudis
- TABLE: Preferred, Useable, and Undesirable Solvent by Alfonsi et al.
Sustainable Energy Use[edit | edit source]
- Thinking about Sustainability and Energy Use
- Climate Control, Heating, and Air Conditioning
- Office and Lab Equipment
- Case Studies: Sustainability and Energy Use
Sustainability Case Studies[edit | edit source]
- The American Institute for Conservation
- Baltimore Museum of Art
- Mary Gridley of Cranmer Art Group
- The Indianapolis Museum of Art
- University of Pittsburgh
- New York Public Library
- Portland Art Museum, Oregon
Publications and Projects by the Sustainability Committee[edit | edit source]
AIC Newsletter Articles[edit | edit source]
- Beginning the Green Task Force This page is based on two articles published in AIC News in July and September 2008.
- "When the Well’s Dry, We Know the Worth of Water" This page is based on an article published in AIC News: Nunberg, Sarah. (2011) "When the Well’s Dry, We Know the Worth of Water." AICNews 36(2): 12-13.
- Plastics are Forever: Wraps, Tools, Films and Containers used in Conservation Practice This page is based on an article published in AIC News in 2011.
- Hazardous Waste: Where on Earth Should it Go? by Denise Stockman with contributions from members of the AIC Committee on Sustainable Conservation Practice. This article was originally published in Vol. 38 No. 2 of AIC News, March 2013, pg. 12-15.
- Can White Paper be Green? by Melissa Tedone and Robin Ohern, published in AIC News, September 2013, Vol. 38, No. 5, pg. 9-11.
- An Introduction to How the Manufacturing and Disposal of Adhesives and Paints Affects our Environment by Robin O’Hern, Geneva Griswold, Mary Elizabeth Haude, and Jia-sun Tsang as part of The Sustainability Committee, May 2015, Vol. 40, No. 3, pg. 14-17
- Sustaining the Unsustainable: Mitigation and Monitoring for Modern Materials By Whitney Baker, Kelly McCauley, and Jia-sun Tsang for the AIC Sustainability Committee, September 2015, published in AIC News
- Dangerous Detergents? Health and Safety answers for surfactant questions by Laura Mina and Geneva Griswold, May 2017, published in AIC News
- Museum-Quality and Sustainable by Christian Hernandez, September 2017, published in AIC News
Projects[edit | edit source]
- Green Task Force Survey Summary Report Presented at the Issue Session of AIC's 37th Annual Meeting on May 21, 2009, Los Angeles, CA by Patricia Silence, Chair
- Green Task Force 2010 AIC Presentation
- Sustainable Practices 2011 Survey Results This page is based on an article published in AICNews in 2012.
- Lunch session at 40th Annual Meeting. "Linking the Environment and Heritage Conservation: Presentations, Tips, and Discussions"
- Life Cycle Assessment Project (LCA)
- 5.8 Life Cycle Assessments: Lighting, HVAC, Loans, and Treatments poster presented at the 42nd Annual Meeting in San Francisco, May 2014
- Tips Sheet for Emerging Conservation Professionals handout for students and emerging conservation professionals, updated in 2018
- Material Matters tips poster displayed at the 2018 Annual meeting vendor hall booth
Webinars[edit | edit source]
- Cost Effective and Sustainable Packing, Moving, and Storage coordinated by Geneva Griswald and Christian Hernandez on December 1, 2015
- Examining the Environmental Impact of Exhibitions and Loans using the Life Cycle Assessment Tool coordinated by Sarah Nunberg on December 8, 2015
AIC Annual Conference Program[edit | edit source]
- 6.1 2012 Annual Conference Program 40th Annual Meeting in Albuquerque, NM
- 6.2 2013 Annual Conference Program 41st Annual Meeting in Indianapolis, IN
- 6.3 2014 Annual Conference Program 42nd Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA
- 6.4 2015 Annual Conference Program 43rd Annual Meeting in Miami, FL
- 6.5 2016 Annual Conference Program 44th Annual Meeting in Montreal, Canada
- 6.6 2017 Annual Conference Program 45th Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL
- 6.7 2018 Annual Conference Program 46th Annual Meeting in Houston, TX