PMG Conservation Issues in Contemporary Photography 20th Century Color Workshop Bibliography
Back to PMG Collaborative Workshops Bibliographies
PMG Collaborative Workshops Bibliographies - Conservation Issues in Contemporary Photography: 20th Century Color[edit | edit source]
20 - 24 October 2008, Museum of modern Art, New York, New York.
History & Manufacture[edit | edit source]
- Bello, Hobson J. “Color Negative and Positive Silver Halide Systems.” In Neblette’s Handbook of Photography and Reprography: Materials, Processes, and Systems. 7th ed. Edited by John M. Sturge. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1977: 388-396.
- Dobrusskin, Sebastian. “Fotografische Farbstoffrasterverfahren: Prinzip, Technologie und Identifizierung.” Farbfehler! Gegen das Verschwinden der Farbfotografien (1998): 53-78.
- Heidke, Ronald L., Larry H. Feldman, and Charleton C. Bard. “Evolution of Kodak Photographic Color Negative Print Papers.” Journal of Imaging Technology 11, no. 3 (June 1985): 93-97.
- Kraus, Peter. “Pioneering Photographic Color Systems.” In Pioneers of Photography: Their Achievements in Science and Technology. The Society for Imaging Science and Technology, 1987: 208-214.
- Kraus, Peter. “Color Photography.” In Imaging Processes and Materials, Neblette’s Eighth Edition. Edited by John Sturge, Vivian Walworth, and Allan Shepp. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1989: 110-134.
- Messier, Paul, and Diane Tafilowski. “Color Photographs: A Timeline.” Unpublished timeline and notes (15 September 2000, revised 29 November 2002). http://paulmessier.com/pm/docs/timeline.pdf and http://paulmessier.com/pm/docs/timelinetext.pdf.
- Schellenberg, Matthias, Ernst Riolo, and Harmut Blaue. “Silver Dye-Bleach Photography.” In Focal Encyclopedia of Photography: Digital Imaging, Theory and Applications, History, and Science. 4th ed. Edited by Michael R. Peres. Amsterdam: Elsevier; New York: Focal, 2007: 700-711.
- Szarkowski, John. William Eggleston’s Guide. New York: Museum of Modern Art; Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1976.
- Theys, Ronald D., and George Sosnovsky. “Chemistry and Processes of Color Photography.” Chemical Reviews 97, no. 1 (1997): 83-132.
Instant Color Photography[edit | edit source]
- Land, Edwin H., Howard G. Rogers, and Vivian K. Walworth. “One-Step Photography.”* In Neblette’s Handbook of Photography and Reprography: Materials, Processes, and Systems 7th ed. Edited by John M. Sturge. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1977: 259-330.
- “Film Identification and Manufacturing Information: Polaroid Land film manufactured in U.S.A.” C28OA 7/80.
- “Polaroid 20x24 Camera System.” 1-19.
- Polaroid Corporation. Storing, Handling and Preserving Polaroid Photographs: A Guide. 1983.
- Polaroid Corporation. “Material Safety Data Sheet, M-0579.” (7 July 1998): 1-6.
- Walworth, Vivian K., and Stanley H. Mervis. “Instant Photography and Related Reprographic Processes.” In Imaging Processes and Materials, Neblette’s Eighth Edition. Edited by John Sturge, Vivian Walworth, and Allan Shepp. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1989: 181-225.
- Weyde, Edith. “Pioneering the Diffusion-Transfer-Reversal Process.” In Pioneers of Photography: Their Achievements in Science and Technology. Springfield, VA: The Society for Imaging Science and Technology, 1987: 215-218.
Further Reading: History & Manufacture[edit | edit source]
- Coe, B. Colour Photography: The First 100 Years. London: Ash & Grant, 1978.
- Coote, J. H. The Illustrated History of Colour Photography. Surrey, UK: Fountain Press, 1993.
- Friedman, J. S. History of Color Photography. 2nd ed. London: Focal Press, 1968.
- Koshofer, Gert. Farb Fotografie, 3 volumes. Munich: Lanterna Magica, 1981.
- Roberts, Pamela. A Century of Colour Photography. London: Andre Deutsch, 2007.
- Sipley, L. W. A Half Century of Color. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1951.
- Wall, E. J. The History of Three-Color Photography. Boston: American Photographic Publishing Company, 1925.
Finishing Techniques[edit | edit source]
- Breitung E. “Survey of Abrasion Resistant Acrylics and Polycarbonates for Face-Mounted Photographs.” Topics in Photographic Preservation 12 (2007): 114-125.
- Cibachrome. “Mounting and Laminating.” Technical Information, n.d.
- Eastman Kodak. “Effects of Post-Processing Treatments on the Image Stability of Color Prints.” Technical Data/Reference E-176 (October 1998): 1-4.
- McGlinchey, Chris, and Chris Maines. “Chemistry and Analysis of Coatings on Photographs.” In Coatings on Photographs: Materials, Techniques, and Conservation. Edited by Constance McCabe. Washington, DC: American Institute for Conservation, 2005: 22-49.
- Murphy, Erin. “Basic Care of Face-Mounted Photographs at the Museum of Modern Art.” Topics in Photographic Preservation 12 (2007): 160-174.
- Mustardo, Peter. “Approaches to Treating Contemporary Photographs.” Topics in Photograph Preservation 12 (2007): 126-130.
- Pénichon, Sylvie, and Martin Jürgens. “Issues in the Conservation of Contemporary Photographs: The Case of Diasec or Face-Mounting.” AIC News 27, no. 2 (March 2002): 1, 3-4, 7-8.
- Pénichon, Sylvie, and Martin Jürgens. “Plastic Lamination and Face Mounting of Contemporary Photographs.” In Coatings on Photographs. Washington, DC: American Institute for Conservation, 2005: 218-235.
- Tucker, Anne Wilkes. “A Problem of Beauty.” In Crimes and Splendors: The Desert Cantos of Richard Misrach. Houston: Museum of Fine Arts, 1996: 15-35.
- Wei, W. “International Research on the Conservation and Restoration of Face-Mounted Photographs.” In Diversity in Heritage Conservation: Tradition, Innovation, and Participation, 15th Triennial Conference, 22-26 September 2008, New Delhi 2. Paris: International Council of Museums, Committee for Conservation, 2008, 702-708.
- Zorn, Sabine, and Sebastian Dobrusskin. “Diasec” – and other Finishing Techniques – Investigation of Light induced Aging.” In Archiving 2008 Final Program and Proceedings, Bern, Switzerland, 24-27 June 2008. Springfield, VA: The Society for Imaging Science and Technology, 2008: 159-161.
Further Reading: Finishing Techniques[edit | edit source]
- Coatings on Kodachrome and Ektachrome Films, Tragni et al
- Coatings on Polaroid Prints, Mesquit, Lemmen
- Commercial Coatings for Photographs ..., Weaver
Conservation[edit | edit source]
- “Cleaning Color Photographs, Kent Workshop, September 24-26, 1998.” Unpublished notes (1 October 1998): 1-13.
- Daffner, Lee Ann, and Chris McGlinchey. “The Big Picture: Conservation Research Program for Contemporary Color Photographs.” In Modern Art. London: New Museum, 2004: 109-113.
- Kennedy, Nora, and Peter Mustardo. “Contemporary Photography from a Conservation Perspective.” In The Imperfect Image: Photographs their Past, Present and Future: Conference Proceedings, Centre for Photographic Conservation, Low Wood Conference Centre, Windermere, 6th-10th April 1992. Philadelphia: Center for Photographic Conservation, 1992: 367-375.
- Kennedy, Nora, and Peter Mustardo. “Changing Perspectives on Color Photography.” In Diversity in Heritage Conservation: Tradition, Innovation, and Participation, 15th Triennial Conference, 22-26 September 2008, New Delhi 2. Philadelphia: International Council of Museums, Committee for Conservation, 2008: 689-694.
- McGlinchey, C., B. Yuan, and E. Pearce. “The Physical Properties of Amorphous Polyolefin PSAs and Their Influence on Adhesives for Conservation Application.” In Pressure Sensitive Tape Council TECH XXVI Seminar. Washington, DC: Pressure Sensitive Tape Council, 2003.
- McGlinchey, C., and B. Yuan. ‘The Development of Ultra-cool Melt Adhesives for Mounting Resin Coated (RC) Photographic Papers.’ Materials Issues in Art and Archaeology VII. Edited by P. Vandiver, J. L. Mass, and A. Murray. Warrendale, PA: Materials Research Society, 2005: 321-329.
- Mellon Collaborative Workshop on Contemporary Photographic Processes: Treatment Issues Practicum Summary. 22 June 2000.
Preventative Care[edit | edit source]
- Adelstein, Peter Z. “IPI Media Storage Quick Reference.” Rochester, NY: Image Permanence Institute, 2004 (9 September 2008). http://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/shtml_sub/msqr.pdf. The print version of this booklet with wheel may be purchased at www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org.
- Adelstein, Peter Z., C. Loren Graham, and Lloyd E. West. “Preservation of Motion-Picture Color Films having Permanent Value.” Journal of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers 79 (November 1970): 1011-1018.
- Daffner, Lee Ann. “1999 Survey of Cool and Cold Storage Facilities for Fine Art Photography Collections.” Unpublished notes presented at the American Institute for Conservation Photographic Materials Group Winter Meeting, Houston, TX (17 February 2001): 1-6.
- McCabe, Constance. “Guidelines for Freezer Storage of Film.” Unpublished notes (28 October 2002): 1-4.
- McCormick-Goodhart, Mark. “The Allowable Temperature and Relative Humidity Range for the Safe Use and Storage of Photographic Materials.” Journal of the Society of Archivists 17, no. 1 (1996): 7-21.
- McCormick-Goodhart, Mark. “Methods for Creating Cold Storage Environments.” In Care of Photographic Moving Image & Sound Collections. Leigh: Institute of Paper Conservation, 1999: 19-23.
- Reilly, James M. “Storage Guide for Color Photographic Materials: Caring for Color Slides, Prints, Negatives, and Movie Stills.” Albany: The State University of New York, 1998.
- Townsend, Joyce, and Norman Tennent. “Colour Transparencies: Studies on Light Fading and Storage Stability.” In ICOM Committee for Conservation Preprints, 10th Triennial Meeting, Washington, D.C., August 1993. Vol. 1. Paris: International Council of Museums, Committee for Conservation, 1993: 281-286.
- Zinn, Edward, et al. “Preservation of Colour Photographs: The Danger of Atmospheric Oxidants in the Storage Environment.” In Environnement et Conservation de L’Écrit, de L’Image et du Son, Actes des deuxièmes journées internationales d’études de l’ARSAG. Paris: Association Pour la Recherche Scientifique sur les Arts Graphiques, 1994: 25-30.
Further Reading: Preventative Care[edit | edit source]
- ISO 18924. “Imaging Materials – Test Method for Arrhenius-Type Predictions.” ISO, Case postale 56, CH-1211, Geneva 20, Switzerland.
- ISO 18934. “Imaging Materials – Multiple Media Archives – Storage Environment.” ISO Case postale 56, CH-1211, Geneva 20, Switzerland.
Workshop Notes[edit | edit source]
- Adelstein, Peter Z. “Predictions of Color Permanence.” Unpublished PowerPoint notes (October 2008): 1-13.
- Breuer, Marco. “Biography.” 25 August 2008.
- Churner, Rachel. “Marco Breuer, Von Lintel Gallery.” Artforum (November 2007): 370.
- Pace/MacGill Gallery. “Exhibitions of Color Photography, Peter MacGill” and list of artists represented. 2008.
- Weaver, Gawain. “Additive Screens Rule!” Unpublished PowerPoint notes (October 2008): 1-16.
- Weaver, Gawain. “A Brief Pictorial History of Additive Color Screen Plate Photography.” Unpublished notes (October 2008): 1-3.
|Copyright 2023. Photographic Materials Group Wiki is a publication of the Photographic Materials Group of the American Institute for Conservation. It is published as a convenience for the members of thePhotographic Materials Group. Publication does not endorse nor recommend any treatments, methods, or techniques described herein. Please follow PMG Wiki guidelines for citing PMG Wiki content, keeping in mind that it is a work in progress and is frequently updated.
Back to PMG Collaborative Workshops Bibliographies
Back to Photographic Materials Chapter List