Back to Textiles
Textile Specialty Group Conservation Wiki
Contributors: Robin Hanson and Jennifer Cruise
PREFACE[edit | edit source]
- This index was compiled initially from the first 22 volumes of the Textile Specialty Group Postprints, and contained papers presented at the Textile Specialty Group (TSG) sessions held during annual meetings of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC), beginning in Albuquerque in 1991 through Albuquerque in 2012. Organization of the Subject Index began with the TSG Catalog chapters as headings and expanded from there as necessity dictated; the keyword Index is excerpted from AATA Online. Where only an abstract exists, that entry has been highlighted in red; where a video exists, that entry is highlighted in blue .
- TSG Postprints is a non-juried publication. Submission of these papers to juried publications has always been encouraged. Papers included in the Postprints, chosen from abstracts submitted to each year's meeting or program chair, were published as submitted by the authors. Editing of papers was done according to the Journal of the American Institute of Conservation's Guidelines for Authors and AIC's best practices guidelines for print and electronic publications. Materials and methods presented within the papers should not be considered official statements of either the Textile Specialty Group or the American Institute for Conservation of Historic & Artistic Works.
- Editing of Postprints has been undertaken by volunteers, beginning with the team of Catherine McLean, Susan Mathisen, and Cara Varnell for the first volume. Linda Eaton, Sara Reiter, and Suzanne Thomassen-Krauss edited Volume 2, Catherine single-handedly edited Volumes 3 and 4, and Patricia Ewer and Beth McLaughlin edited Volumes 4 through 7. Camille Myers Breeze edited Volumes 8 and 9, Jane Merritt and Virginia Whelan edited Volumes 10 and 11, and a team comprising Bonnie Halvorson, Robin Hanson, and Jane edited Volume 12. Volume 13 was edited by Bonnie, Robin, and Julie Randolph; Volume 14 by Robin, Kathleen MacKay, and Julie. Volume 15 was edited by Kathleen, Beth Szuhay, and Joel Thompson. Howard Sutcliffe joined Beth and Joel to edit Volume 16; a fourth editor, Amanda Holden, joined the team for Volume 17. Volume 18 was edited by Amanda, Sarah Stevens, Howard, and Joel; Volumes 19 and 20 by Amanda, Glenn Petersen, Sarah, and Joel. Volume 21 was edited by Amanda Holden, Sarah Stevens, and Glenn Petersen; Volume 22 by Amanda Holden, Sarah Stevens, Julia Carlson, Glenn Petersen, Emily Schuetz, and Rebecca Summerour; Volume 23 by Amanda Holden, Rebecca Summerour, Emily Schuetz, Julia Carlson, and Glenn Petersen ; Volume 24 by Rebecca Summerour and Cathleen Zaret.
- The annual volume grew from an initial publication containing 4 papers and comprising 71 pages to Volume 20 which contained 10 papers, three posters, and one extended abstract and comprised 189 pages. Volume 5 was a themed session on the subject of water, Volume 12 was a joint session with the Objects Specialty Group (OSG), and Volume 20 included papers from a joint TSG/Research and Technical Studies (RATS) session.
- Publication of Volumes 9 and 12 through 16 included acknowledgement of funding from the Harpers Ferry Regional Textile Group, organizer of conferences on textile preservation from 1978 to 1992.
- Beginning with Volume 7 in 1997, Spanish translations of abstracts were included for the first time; this tradition has continued though subsequent volumes. Amparo de Torres of the Library of Congress and Emilia Cortes of the Metropolitan Museum of Art provided translation services for Volume 7. For Volumes 8 and 9, members of the Comité Nacional de Conservación Textil, Chile, TSG’s sister organization in the Southern Hemisphere, joined Emilia to provide Spanish translations for abstracts. This group included Carole Sinclaire from the Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino (editor in charge) and Isabel Alvarado from the Museo Histórico Nacional, both from Santiago de Chile, and Patricia Lisa from the Museum Isaac Fernandez Blanco in Buenos Aires. For Volumes 10 through 14, the aforementioned members of the Comité provided translation services; they were joined by Maya Luna for Volume 15. Beginning with Volume 16, TSG contracted with a professional translation service to provide abstract translations.
- An ISSN number was secured beginning with Volume 8. Volume 10 onwards included posters from the general session that addressed textile issues. Volume 16 was the final print version of TSG Postprints to be issued, Volumes 17 through 20 were issued on CD. Beginning with Volume 21, the publication was as a PDF available online to members of TSG.
Postprint Indexes[edit | edit source]
- TSG Postprints: Author index (Volumes 1-29)
- TSG Postprints: Subject index (Volumes 1-24, 28,29)
- TSG Postprints: Keyword index (Volumes 1-22)
TSG Postprints / AIC Meetings[edit | edit source]
|TSG Postprints Volume Number||AIC Annual Meeting Number||Location||Dates|
|1||19||Albuquerque, NM||June 3-8, 1991|
|2||20||Buffalo, NY||June 1-7, 1992|
|3||21||Denver, CO||May 31 - June 6, 1993|
|4||22||Nashville, TN||June 6-11, 1994|
|5||23||St.Paul, MN||June 4-11, 1995|
|6||24||Norfolk, VA||June 10-16, 1996|
|7||25||San Diego, CA||June 9-15, 1997|
|8||26||Washington, DC||June 1-7, 1998|
|9||27||St.Louis, MO||June 7-13,1999|
|10||28||Philadelphia, PA||June 7-13, 2000|
|11||29||Dallas, TX||May 29 - June 4, 2001|
|12||30||Miami, FL||June 6-11, 2002|
|13||31||Washington, DC||June 5-10, 2003|
|14||32||Portland, OR||June 9-14, 2004|
|15||33||Minneapolis, MN||June 8-13, 2005|
|16||34||Providence, RI||June 16-19, 2006|
|17||35||Richmond, VA||April 16-20, 2007|
|18||36||Denver, CO||April 21-24, 2008|
|19||37||Los Angeles, CA||May 19-22, 2009|
|20||38||Milwaukee, WI||May 11-14, 2010|
|21||39||Philadelphia, PA||May 31- June 3, 2011|
|22||40||Albuquerque, NM||May 8-11, 2012|
|23||41||Indianapolis, IN||May 29- June 1, 2013|
|24||42||San Francisco, CA||May 28 -31, 2014|
|25||43||Miami, FL||May 13- May 15, 2015|
|26||44||Montreal, QUE, CAN||May 13- May 17, 2016|
|27||45||Chicago, IL||May 28- June 2, 2017|
|28||46||Houston, TX||May 29- June 2, 2018|