Wood anatomy/ Wood identification
Back to the Wooden Artifacts Page
Wooden Artifacts Group Conservation Wiki
Contributors: Yuri Yanchyshyn.
Your name could be here! Please contribute.
Copyright: 2013. The Wooden Artifacts Group Wiki pages are a publication of the Wooden Artifacts Specialty Group of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works. The Wooden Artifacts Group Wiki pages are published for the members of the Wooden Artifacts Specialty Group. Publication does not endorse or recommend any treatments, methods, or techniques described herein.
This section is dedicated to wood anatomy and wood identification.
Further reading[edit | edit source]
- CITES Tropical Wood Identification Guide -http://www.ec.gc.ca/Publications/30572765-7F5C-4EAF-AC70-774EC56F69BF%5CCITES-Identification-Guide---Tropical-Woods.pdf
- Journal of the International Association of Wood Anatomists, Vol.32 (2), 2011
- [This entire issue was devoted to the current state of wood identification of CITES related species, with various contributors, and can be found at http://www.iawa-website.org/]
- Czako, Mihaly. 2007. Identification of Wood by Chemical Fingerprinting. A Guide to More Useful Woods of the World. Madison, Wisconsin. Forest Products Society. 307-313.
- [A succinct introduction to the topic and its place within theoverall field of tree and wood identification.]
- Lancaster, Cady and Espinoza, Edgard. 2012. Analysis of Select Dalbergia and Trade Timber Using Direct Analysis in Real Time and Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry for CITES Enforcement. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. Vol. 26(9): 1147-1156.
- Lancaster, Cady and Espinoza, Edgard. 2012. Evaluating Agarwood products for 2-(2-phenylethyl)-chromones using Direct Analysis in Real Time Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry Vol. 26(13): 2649-2656.
- Kite, Geoffrey C. and Green, Paul W.C. and Veitch, Nigel C. and Groves, Madeleine C. and Gasson, Peter and Simmonds, Moniques S.J. 2010. Dalnigrin, a neoflavonoid marker for the identification of Brazilan rosewood(Dabergia nigra) in CITES enforcement. Pytochemistry Vol. 71.: 1122-1131.
- Gasson, Peter and Miller, Regis and Stekel, Dov J. and Whinder, Frances and Zieminska, Kasia. 2010. Wood identification of Dalbergia nigra (CITES Appendix I) using quantitative wood anatomy, principal components analysis and native Bayes classification. Annals of Botany 105: 45-56.
Back to the Wooden Artifacts Page.