From Wiki

Object covered with drops or spots of something. This can be from an accidental spray or splash of something.

Commonly paint spatter, can be called paint deposits (NPS).


Image to the right -->

white paint spatter on 18th Century green Pennsylvania Windsor chair

Related Terms[edit | edit source]

Synonyms in English[edit | edit source]

shower, slosh, spray, sprinkle, squirt, wet

Translation[edit | edit source]

English spatter
French éclaboussure
Spanish salpicadura
Portuguese borrifo
Italian schizzare
German spritzer
Russian брызги
Arabic ترشيش
Chinese (Traditional) 潑濺

Discussion[edit | edit source]

It is best to cover objects if any painting in the same room is to be done. This will protect and avoid spatter.

References[edit | edit source]

2011. United Kingdom. The National Trust Manual of Housekeeping: Care and conservation of collections in historic houses.

2005. National Park Service. Museum Handbook: Part 1, Museum Collections.

Return to List of Lexicon Terms