Guideline 17.1: Hardware and controls are used to protect objects from fire and water damage[edit | edit source]
What hardware is available to reduce the danger of fire and water damage?[edit | edit source]
Hardware and equipment that detect water leaks or detect and fight fire include:
- A fire detection system: Fire detector signals should be integrated into the building’s fire alarm system.
- Smoke-control systems: [Need further clarification.]
- A sprinkler system with automatic shut-off and with protective cages around heads (preferably a pre-action system).
- Portable fire extinguishers within the exhibit space: These can be installed inside wall cabinets or exhibit case bases or concealed behind furniture in period rooms.
- A water leak detection system: [Needs further clarification.]
[Needs amplification e.g. More info on these hardware options; any additional hardware and controls; the relative costs and ease of installation & maintenance.]