From Wiki

Crease refers to a line of crushed or broken substrate fibers, the result of a fold. (Smithsonian Institute, 2006)

Image of a crease in paper, used with permission by Fine Arts Conservancy Stoneledge, LLC

Related Terms[edit | edit source]


Synonyms in English[edit | edit source]

Translation[edit | edit source]

English crease
French pli
Spanish pliegue
Portuguese ruga
Italian piega
Chinese (Traditional) 皺摺

Discussion[edit | edit source]

A crease is a line, ridge, or groove in a paper or fabric, made by pressing, folding, or wrinkling with or without the aid of heat, pressure, and moisture. The fibers in the crease region may be irreversibly crushed or broken. A dog-ear crease is a diagonal fold at the corner of a page. (Museum of Fine Arts Boston, 2013). Creases typically occur in flexible materials, such as paper, and do not break through the surface of the object. Creases in the edges of works on paper can also be the result of faulty mounting.

Creases may cause aesthetic or structural problems. If the paper in a creased area is not repaired, the area could weaken or tear. To repair a crease, flatten the area by applying localized moisture, followed by applying gentle pressure with blotters or weights. Severe creases "may be reinforced on the verso with Japanese paper adhered with an archival paste."(Collector's Guide, 2014)

References[edit | edit source]

Crease. Art and Architecture Thesaurus Online. Getty Institute. 2004. Accessed March 20, 2015.

Crease. CAMEO. Museum of Fine Arts Boston. July 24, 2013. Accessed March 20, 2015.

The Collector's Guide: Conserving Works In Paper. Collector's Guide. 2014. Accessed March 20, 2015.

van der Reyden, D. 1994. Sources of Deterioration and Damage To Paper Materials. Accessed March 20, 2015.

Return to List of Lexicon Terms