Paper Conservation Catalog
Welcome to the Paper Conservation Catalog Wiki
Welcome to the Paper Conservation Catalog, compiled by members of the AIC Book and Paper Specialty Group. The BPG Paper Catalog was begun with funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
This wiki addition of the Paper Conservation Catalog is an ever expanding and changing resource for paper conservators and allied professionals. The 1994 edition of the Catalog provides a jumping off point for this platform. Members of the Book and Paper Group are eligible to contribute to the wiki. Going forward, the wiki will provide a forum for sharing innovations, new techniques, traditions, research, and all things paper conservation. Please share what you know.
We are seeking conservators with knowledge and expertise. Please contact us at [email protected] to learn how to become a contributor. All kinds of experience welcome. We can pair conservators with varying skills and interest, ie: one with content and one with expertise in wiki markup and editing skills.
What's New with the Wiki
- Thanks to all who participated in our Wiki events at the 2015 and 2016 and 2017 Annual Meetings.
- We are actively recruiting contributors for the AIC BPG Wiki. For more information about how to get involved, contact us at [email protected].
- There is now a Bibliography team focused solely on updating BPG bibliographies. We are actively recruiting new team members. This is an easy way to get started with the wiki and time commitment is flexible.
- A team is currently at work on the Filling of Losses section.
- Reformatting teams are working on several PCC chapters.
- Denise Stockman, PCC Coordinator, The New York Public Library
- Katherine Kelly, PCC Contributor and Book Wiki Coordinator, Library of Congress
- Cher Schneider, PCC Contributor and former Wiki Coordinator, UIUC Library Conservation Laboratory
- Laura McCann Bibliography Team Leader, New York University Libraries
- Your name? Please contact us at [email protected] to join
Documentation and Treatment
- Chapter 1 - Fiber Identification
- Chapter 3 - Media Problems
- Chapter 4 - Support Problems
- Chapter 5 - Written Documentation
- Chapter 6 - Visual Examination
- Chapter 10 - Spot Tests
- Chapter 12 - Mold
- Chapter 13 - Foxing
- Chapter 14 - Surface Cleaning
- Chapter 15 - Hinge, Tape and Adhesive Removal
- Chapter 16 - Washing
- Chapter 17 - Sizing & Resizing
- Chapter 18 - Parchment
- Chapter 19 - Bleaching
- Chapter 20 - Alkalization and Neutralization
- Chapter 22 - Humidification
- Chapter 23 - Consolidation/Fixing/Facing
- Chapter 24 - Backing Removal
- Chapter 25 - Mending
- Chapter 26 - Filling of Losses
- Chapter 28 - Drying and Flattening
- Chapter 29 - Lining
- Chapter 30 - Inpainting
- Chapter 40 - Matting and Framing
- Chapter 46 - Adhesives
Paper Conservation Catalog (print edition 1984-1994)
A complete and unchanged copy of the print edition of the Paper Conservation Catalog can be found here: Paper Conservation Catalog (print edition 1984-1994).. The Wiki edition can be edited and expanded, but we have preserved the print edition in its entirety as a record of all the hard work and expertise that came before us.
Back to Main Catalogs Page