PMG Preservation of Plastics in Photographic Materials
In progress: Seeking additional comments and images to develop this section
Photographic Materials Conservation Catalog
Preservation of Plastics in Photographic Materials
Date: Initiated August 2014
Contributors: Luisa Casella, Stephanie Watkins
The Photographic Materials Conservation Catalog is produced by the Photographic Materials Group of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works as a convenience for the membership. The treatments, methods, or techniques described herein are provided for informational purposes. The reader assumes responsibility for any application results.
- 1 Purpose of Preservation of Plastics in Photographic Materials Chapter
- 2 Definition Plastics in Photographic Materials
- 3 Overview of Processes that include Plastic
- 4 Factors to Consider with Plastics in Photographic Materials
- 5 Preservation Recommendations for Use, Display, or Storage
- 6 Conservation Treatment Techniques
- 7 Exhibition
- 8 References
Purpose of Preservation of Plastics in Photographic Materials Chapter
Definition Plastics in Photographic Materials
Overview of Processes that include Plastic
Factors to Consider with Plastics in Photographic Materials
Preservation Recommendations for Use, Display, or Storage
Conservation Treatment Techniques
Photographic Materials Specific
- Adelstein, Peter. 2009. IPI Media Storage: Quick Reference. 2nd ed. Rochester, NY: Rochester Institute of Technology: Image Permanence Institute.
- Film Preservation, Rochester, NY: Rochester Institute of Technology: Image Permanence Institute.
- Horvarth. 1987. The Acetate Negative Survey. University of Louisville Ekstrom Library Photographic Archives.
- Photographic Negatives: Nature and Evolution of Processes. Rochester, NY: Rochester Institute of Technology: Image Permanence Institute.
- Reilly, James M. 1993 (minor revision 1996). IPI Storage Guide for Acetate Film. Rochester, NY: Rochester Institute of Technology: Image Permanence Institute.
General Plastic Objects (annotated)
- Bacci, Mauro, Constanza Cucci, Thea van Oosten, Yvonne Shashoua, and Jozef Rychlý. 2012. (2.2) Collection Survey: Surveying Plastic Artefact Collections in Museums. (139-149) (31/01/12): EU 7th Framework Programme Project, POPART (Preservation Of Plastic ARTefacts in Museum Collections): Use of "Polly Dolls" as test subjects to age plastic materials in real time.
- Care and identification of Objects Made From Plastic n.d. Conservo O Gram 8/4, (USA) National Park Service. (Plastic Identification and Care, chart on page 5-6).
- Connecting to Collections Care (C2C). Dynamic, constantly changing FAIC online community with numerous resource links for Care of Photographic Materials and other, such as plastics. Example of an event on Care of Plastics 
- Garcia, Kaelyn, Marina Hays, Sarah Scatura. 2020 (June 25). Fashion's Plastic Problem: Preventive Conservation for Synthetic Materials. American Institute for Conservation virtual meeting presentation. Real time testing of plastic materials following the model of the European POPART project. Authors used composite plastic manikin-style dolls (future opportunity for googly-eyes! - Suzy Morgan).
- Icons in Plastic. 2014 (January 15). "Icons in Plastic" Getty video presentation on same site.
- Plastic Identification Tool. 2020. Netherlands Cultural Heritage Agency, Education, Culture and Science. Includes rudimentary film identification for collection stewards and owners.
- Preservation of Plastics. 2017 (June last updated). Getty Conservation Institute; Numerous written and online links to various projects,
- Williams, R. Scott. 2002 (January). Care of Malignant Plastics. WAAC Newsletter, (24: 1). (Online version has no page numbers listed.)