TSG Chapter IV. Documentation of Textiles - Section G. Bibliography
Back to Textiles Chapter List
The Textile Conservation Catalog
EXAMINATION OF TEXTILES PRIOR TO TREATMENT
Date: April 2, 1998
Original Draft: Susan Heald
Contributors: Lucy Commoner, Judith Eisenberg, Patricia Ewer, Lorna Filippini, Gaelen Gorden, Martha Winslow Grimm, Jane Hutchins, Marlene Jaffe, Susan Anne Mathisen, Jane Merritt, Denise K. Migdail, Meredith Montague, Zoe Perkins, Sara Reiter, Gwen Spicer, Suzanne Thomassen-Krauss, Deborah Trupin
Editors: M. Cynthia Hughes, Jane Lynn Merritt, Deborah Trupin, Sara J. Wolf
Statement of Purpose
The Textile Conservation Catalog records current conservation treatments and practices for artistic and historic textiles. Each chapter compiles the variety of treatments and techniques currently used by textile conservators. The Catalog is a voluntary, cooperative project of the Textile Specialty Group of the AIC. Participating members have developed and commented extensively on the chapters.
The Catalog is in the form of an outline. There are no detailed instructions for treatment, and the Catalog does not seek to establish definitive methods or standards. Entries are qualifies by including “factors to consider,” however the inclusion of a treatment in the Catalog is not an endorsement or approval of the procedures described. The Catalog is designed for trained textile conservators who are familiar with the vocabulary and processes included in the outlines. Chapters are intended to be a guide in the treatment decision-making process and allow conservators to explore treatment options. Each conservator remains responsible for the safety and appropriateness of any treatment.
Although the focus of the Catalog is conservation treatment, related subjects such as environment, storage, and exhibition are included, but only insofar as the describe issues met and actions taken by textile conservators.
Final Revision, April 2, 1998
- Andrew, Sally and Dinah Eastop. "Using Ultra-Violet and Infra-Red Techniques in the Examination and Documentation of Historic Textiles," The Conservator, 18(1990), pp50–56.
- Paper Conservation Catalog. "Visual Examination (chpt.6), Book and Paper Group of the American Institute for Conservation, 1986.
- Buck, R.D. "What is condition in a work of art?" Bulletin of the American Group-IIC, 12:1, October 1971. (Reprint 1993: Intermuseum Conservation Association Newsletter, No. 2 Spring/summer., pp2–4.)
- Buck, R.D. "Inspecting and describing the condition of art objects." Museum Registration Methods, ed, D. H. Dudley and I.B. Wilkinson [publisher], 1979.
- Burnham, Dorothy. Warp and Weft: A Textile Terminology. Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, 1980.
- C.I.E.T.A. Fabrics: Vocabulary of Technical Terms. Lyon, France: Centre International D'Etude Des Textiles Ancien, 1964.
- Craft, M. and S. Jones. Written Documentation. Booklet prepared for AIC 9th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, 1981.
- "Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Practice." AIC Directory, 1995, pp21–28.
- Doyal, Sherry. "The Analysis and Documentation of Upholstered Objects," Upholstery Conservation, 1990, pp42–54.
- Emery, Irene. The Primary Structure of Fabrics. Washington, DC: The Textile Museum, 1966.
- Flury-Lemberg, Mechthild. "Preliminary Examination and Documentation," Textile Conservation and Research, Bern, Switzerland: Abegg Stiftung, 1988, chpt.1.
- Francis, Kathy. "Fiber and Fabric Remains on Upholstery Tacks and Frames: Identification, Interpretation and Preservation." In Upholstery Conservation, 1990, pp63–65.
- Kushel, D. Photodocumentation for conservation: procedural guidelines and photographic concepts and techniques. Prepared for AIC 8th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Landi, Sheila. "Examination, Options, and Choice," The Textile Conservator's Manual, 2nd ed. Oxford, England: Butterworths, 1992, chpt.3.
- Landi, Sheila. "Recording, Handling and Preparation," The Textile Conservator's Manual, 2nd. ed. Oxford, England: Butterworths, 1992, chpt.4.
- Norris, D.H. et al. Ethics and Standards Committee Supplement no. 4. AIC News, March 1992, pp1–8.
- O'Reilly, Priscilla and H. Lord (eds.) Basic Condition Reporting: A Handbook. Southeastern Registrar's Association, 1988.
- Textile Conservation Group, Inc. Directory of Hand Stitches Used in Textile Conservation. Compiled by Martha Winslow Grimm. New York: Textile Conservation Group, Inc., 1993.
Back to Textiles Chapter List