Category:Mounts & Mountmaking
Visit our new website at mountmakersforum.net!
Check out the new International Mountmakers Forum Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/internationalmountmakersforum/
Check out the new content from the 6th International Mountmakers Forum that was held at the Natural History Museum in London on September 25-27, 2018!
Link to the 6th International Mountmakers Forum page
Who wants to host future Fora, help with web content or bring your knowledge to our community in some other way?
Please see "How to Contribute" at the bottom of this page.
Mountmaking skills & training
While there are a few workshops and seminars to gain basic skills, real mountmaking expertise comes with attention and practice and curiosity, best done in an apprentice-like setting. If you are very interested in learning the ropes, find out who has made some mounts that you find successful and contact them!
Here are a few places to check for upcoming workshops and seminars on mountmaking. Inclusion here does not imply recommendation:
If you know of a training that should be added to this list, please see "How to Contribute" below.
Mountmaking tools and materials
- Here is a Mountmaking Tool and Material List with a few suggestions and ideas on where to purchase them.
- Mountmaking Supply Handout from Bob Fuglestad's workshop at PACCIN's first Preparators Conference in August 2009
- A few of Benchmark's favorite tools
- Link to AIC's wiki Oddy Tests: Materials Database
Have ideas for other useful tools or simply want to share your favorite? contact Shelly Uhlir and we'll add them to the list:
About the International Mountmakers Forum
Who we are
Bringing together museum professionals from across the globe, the International Mountmakers Forum was created to exchange knowledge and ideas regarding all aspects of mountmaking.
International Mountmakers Forum online community
The group maintains a Google Group forum to discuss mountmaking issues. It is open to mountmakers and anyone interested in mountmaking issues.
To join this group copy and paste the following address into your search engine.
Contact BJ Farrar with questions.
Note: In 2019, we will begin phasing out the Google group and begin moving to the Online Forum on the International Mountmakers Forum website.
International Mountmakers Forum Conference
The Mountmakers Forum sponsors a biennial conference held at different host institutions.
For information on past and future Fora see below.
- 6th International Mountmakers Forum, September 25-27, 2018, Natural History Museum, London
- 5th International Mountmakers Forum, May 4-5, 2016, Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, OH
- International Mountmakers Forum UK Kick-Start Meeting, April 15, 2015, Natural History Museum, London
- 4th International Mountmakers Forum, May 14-15, 2014, New Mexico History Museum, Santa Fe, NM
- 3rd International Mountmakers Forum, April 26-27, 2012, The Field Museum, Chicago, IL
- 2nd International Mountmakers Forum, May 5-6, 2010, National Museum of the American Indian Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC
- 1st International Mountmakers Forum, March 28, 2008, The Getty Villa, Los Angeles, CA
Mountmaking in Print
- The Journal of the American Institute for Conservation, Volume 51, Number 1 (Spring/Summer 2012) is a Special Mountmaking Issue including papers from the 1st and 2nd International Mountmakers Forum.
- Table of Contents - Cynthia Amneus and Marla Miles A Method for Invisibly Mounting Costume Using Fosshape - BJ Farrar Improved Mounting System for an Ancient Bronze Torso of a Youth - Susanne Gansicke, Pamela Hatchfield, Jean Louis Lachevre, Craig Uram, Dante Vallance New Mounting Systems Provide Mobility for Two Ancient Objects at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston - Jamie Hascall Receiver Systems for Object Mounts: A Design Concept for Safe Installation and Display Flexibility - Deanna Hovey Simple and Invisible Solutions Using Rare Earth Disc Magnets in Mountmaking - McKenzie Lowry Exploring Process and Design for Visually Unobtrusive Object Mounts - Mark Mitton and Adrienne Pamp Cast Bronze Mounts for Temporary Exhibitions at the J. Paul Getty Museum - Luba Dovgan Nurse A Support Mount Made from Nomex Card for Storage and Three-Dimensional Display of an Incomplete and Fragile 19th Century Straw Bonnet - Jonathan Pressler Mount Challenges and Solutions for Native Alaskan Objects for a Study Collection in an Earthquake Zone - Shelly Uhlir Mounting Multiple-Piece Ensembles for an Exhibit of Plains, Plateau and Great Basin Attire at the National Museum of the American Indian
- Mount-making for Museum Objects (2nd ed) by Robert Barclay, André Bergeron, and Carole Dignard (Illustrations by Carl Schlichting)
- Advances in the Protection of Museum Collections from Earthquake Damage: Papers from a Symposium Held at the J. Paul Getty Museum at the Villa on May 3–4, 2006
Articles and Links
- Wikipedia entry on Mountmaking
- Objects conservation discussion on the use of rare earth magnets
- PACCIN article by Jim Williams about how to make a shop-built vacuum press to make Vivak shoulder forms
- Conversations about Fosshape on the PACCIN site
- STASHc- Storage Techniques for Art, Science and History Collections. A useful resource to find or share solutions to storage mounting challenges.
- OSG wiki site about mounting and display
- Useful mounting solutions with rare earth magnets at the Asian Art Museum on San Francisco
How to Contribute to this Site
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "Mounts & Mountmaking"
The following 15 pages are in this category, out of 15 total.