Guideline 17.1: Hardware and controls are used to protect objects from fire and water damage
What hardware is available to reduce the danger of fire and water damage?
Hardware and equipment that detect water leaks or detect and fight fire include:
- A fire detection system: Fire detector signals should be integrated into the building’s fire alarm system.
- Smoke-control systems: [Need further clarification.]
- A sprinkler system with automatic shut-off and with protective cages around heads (preferably a pre-action system).
- Portable fire extinguishers within the exhibit space: These can be installed inside wall cabinets or exhibit case bases or concealed behind furniture in period rooms.
- A water leak detection system: [Needs further clarification.]
[Needs amplification e.g. More info on these hardware options; any additional hardware and controls; the relative costs and ease of installation & maintenance.]