Guideline 16.1: Museum policies and procedures promote object security
[The following subject headings and information are placeholders.]
What institutional practices promote security?
- Security staffing: The presence of a guard or other trained personnel is the best deterrent to theft and vandalism
- Controlled access to the exhibit space
- Inclusion of security training in the budget and scheduling
- A daily walk-through by trained staff to check building security as well as maintenance and pest problems
- A visitor sign-in book and identity badges
- Limited access to keys
When should extra personnel be hired to provide security?
- The security risk assessment may indicate that extra staffing is needed
- The Conservation Requirements may indicate that extra staffing is needed for a particular exhibit