This page is a compendium of some information gleaned from our various wiki edit-a-thons, and wiki meetings at the AIC annual meeting for coding tips visit the Community Portal page. Please feel free to add an update. Don't forget that there is a lot of great information on the Wiki Editors' Resources page --RPArenstein (talk) 12:16, 16 November 2016 (CST)
- 1 Updates
- 1.1 January 2021 Hosting and WikiWorks updates
- 1.2 March 2019 WikiWorks updates
- 1.3 January 2019 Edit-a-thon
- 1.4 May 5, 2015 site maintenance
- 1.5 Schedule for the AIC Wiki Hack-A-Thon, May 2013, 2015 Miami
- 1.6 January 2013 Edit-a-thon
- 1.7 December 16, 2012 site maintenance
- 1.8 September 2012 Edit-a-thon
- 1.9 January 2012 Edit-a-thon
January 2021 Hosting and WikiWorks updates
- Set up, configure and test a LAMP stack (or similar) on a new AWS environment.
- Install git and composer.
- Set up SSL.
Upgrade to MediaWiki 1.35 - MediaWiki will be set up on a fresh AWS server.
- Update MediaWiki to version 1.35LTS.
- Update all skins and extensions to their latest compatible versions.
- Research incompatible extensions, perform any minor fixes needed and propose replacements (if needed).
- Migrate to the new server.
Install VisualEditor - The VisualEditor is a WYSIWYG editor that makes adding or modifying pages much easier.
- Install VisualEditor.
- Install all dependencies.
- Configure VisualEditor to allow simple WYSIWYG editing of content pages.
Install ElasticSearch - The built-in MediaWiki search is not very good at all. Wikipedia uses ElasticSearch instead.
- Install ElasticSearch and its dependencies.
- Install Elastica & CirrusSearch.
- Configure to work with the existing wiki.
- Install a Vimeo widget.
- Install a Google Calendar widget.
- Replace Google Analytics with the newer GTag.
- Restyle the Main Page to match the new skin version.
- Open external links in a new tab.
- Make visited links more distinct.
March 2019 WikiWorks updates
The following work was completed by Ike Hecht, WikiWorks 3-18-2020:
- Remove PDF text labels & icons - You can see an example of where we removed the PDF logo image [here].
- Remove all manually inserted bottom borders - You can see examples of the changes we performed [here] and here]. You can see that the pages still look fine, such as [here].
- Link targets - Everything is demonstrated and documented on the new [Help page].
- Broken link checking - Because you are using a really old MediaWiki version, we had to install a very old (and not very good) extension to help with this. We had to modify it just to get it to work with HTTPS. [[[You can see the extension at work with the conservation-us site pre-filled by clicking here]. Note that the extension may go very slowly and may not load at all. [You can see a basic page that just searches for the links here]. You'll need to manually check the links though.
Future work that was suggested includes:
- We will need to update PHP to version 7 to support the new MediaWiki version. But we need the current wiki to stick with running PHP 5. That means we'll need to run PHP 5 & 7 side by side to perform this update. That is a very tricky configuration. Please contact your host and ask if they can perform this for you. Otherwise, we will need root access to the server (you can ask them about this as well - they almost certainly won't allow it) and it will take some time to set that up.
- This might be a good time to migrate your host. As I've mentioned, we offer hosting starting at $50/month plus a setup fee, but really we can work with any host you prefer, including a new VPS on your current host. This will make the above PHP issue much easier to deal with.
- We will probably need to switch the External Link extension to a more modern extension. That is a good thing as the current one is not so good.
- There is a [testwiki site] that should be updated as well.
- The Lockdown extension may not be compatible with the new MediaWiki version (this is used to prevent users from reading the Draft namespace).
- MediaWiki has removed the "hit counters" feature ("This page has been accessed ### times."). It can be kept functioning by using an extension, but this will take a bit of time.
Assuming numbers 1, 5 & 6 are non-issues, update to version 1.31LTS are estimated at 6 hours in total.
January 2019 Edit-a-thon
The following list are issues by AIC wiki Creators during the January 2019 wiki month to be addressed by the WikiWorks contractor as soon as funding allows: All Creators are welcome to add suggestions to the list --RPArenstein (talk) 15:38, 22 December 2018 (CST)
- Update page listed in the Content Areas from Education & Training (old) to Education & Professional Development. The page is currently set to redirect
- Tweak color pallet so that there is a greater distinction in the color after a link has been followed (currently the shades of blue are difficult to distinguish)
- Automatically add icons to external links and links to pdfs (as in Wikipedia) to make links more visually obvious. --Kkelly (talk) 12:39, 26 December 2018 (CST)
- Automatically add horizontal rules under Level 2 Headers. BPG has manually added these to most of our pages (see example), and we think they look really nice and visually similar to Wikipedia.--Kkelly (talk) 12:50, 26 December 2018 (CST)
- Nested bullets are poorly distinguished. Consider changing the level 2 bullet to an open circle. --Kkelly (talk) 12:50, 26 December 2018 (CST)
- Improve formatting when pages are printed. Currently, all embedded internal and external links print out as urls. As with Wikipedia, it would be better if internal inks were printed as the text, but underlined.--Kkelly (talk) 12:50, 26 December 2018 (CST)
- Structural issues with the breadcrumbs especially when there are multiple categories
- In particular, the hierarchy for the BPG breadcrumb is not correct. The hierarchies as currently expressed on the Breadcrumbs page are currently:
- and they should be something like this:
- --Kkelly (talk) 12:39, 26 December 2018 (CST)
Best Practices call with wiki leaders January 15, 2019
- Best practices for preserving legacy content while updating pages
- Moving away from print-based formatting to more wiki intuitive page naming
- Page status notifications
- Coordinated use of categories
From the AIC wiki guidelines page section on disclaimers
All pages regarding treatment or hands-on procedure have a disclaimer to advert against the use of the described procedures by non-conservators.
The disclaimer reads: “ This article describes conservation procedures. It is meant to be used as exchange of technical information among trained art conservators and should not be used by non-conservators to intervene in cultural property."
The goal of this wiki page is to provide information on the broad range of materials and topics encountered in the conservation of paintings. This information is intended to be used by conservators, museum professionals, and members of the public for educational purposes only. It is not designed to substitute for the consultation of a trained conservator. To find a conservator, please visit AIC's Find a Conservator page.
PSG catalog - http://www.conservation-wiki.com/w/index.php?title=Paintings&action=edit
History of Conservators & Conservation - http://www.conservation-wiki.com/w/index.php?title=History_of_Conservation_and_Conservators&action=edit
Exhibition Standards & Guidelines - http://www.conservation-wiki.com/w/index.php?title=Exhibition_Standards_%26_Guidelines
STATE In progress, 1/30/2012 seen in:
BPG Book catalog - http://www.conservation-wiki.com/w/index.php?title=Books_Section_2_-_Examination_and_Documentation_-_Chapter_2._Documentation
BPG Paper catalog - http://www.conservation-wiki.com/w/index.php?title=BP_Chapter_1_-_Fiber_Identification
In progress: Seeking additional comments and images to develop this section
OSG catalog - http://www.conservation-wiki.com/w/index.php?title=Archaeological_Objects
BPG catalog - http://www.conservation-wiki.com/w/index.php?title=Books_Section_2_-_Examination_and_Documentation_-_Chapter_2._Documentation
PMG catalog - http://www.conservation-wiki.com/w/index.php?title=PMG_Cased_Photographs
From every Sustainability Committee page:
From the BPG Pages:
From the OSG Pages:
CAUTION: The Objects Group Wiki pages are published for the members of the Objects Specialty Group.
Publication does not endorse or recommend any treatments, methods, or techniques described herein.
From the PSG Pages: The information presented on the Paintings Conservation Wiki is the opinion of the contributors and does not imply endorsement or approval, or recommendation of any treatments, methods, or techniques described.
May 5, 2015 site maintenance
Schedule for the AIC Wiki Hack-A-Thon, May 2013, 2015 Miami
9:00-9:30 Introductions - Who you are, where you are from, what you know and what you'd like to know about wikis
9:30–10:00 Introduction to preservation wikis - a.k.a. a word from our sponsors
- AIC wiki - Rachael Arenstein
- CAMEO - Michele Derrick
- Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections (SPNHC) - Rachael Arenstein
- Preservapedia - Rachael Arenstein
- Wikipedia - Nora Lockshin
10:00–10:30 Morning Refreshment Break
10:30–11:00 Instruction I: Coding Instruction (split into groups by experience level)
- Track 1 – Getting started - Rachael Arenstein and Stephanie Watkins
- Track 2 – Tips for automation tips (templates and headers) for more advanced Creators - Suzy Morgan
11:00– 11:30 Work time to code based on Instruction Session I - opportunity to implement the tips and tricks from the instruction session
11:30–12:00 Instruction II:
- Copyright, fair use, digital commons and digital etiquette - Nora Lockshin
- Posting images and video - Rachael Arenstein
1:30–2:00 Instruction III:
- Cross-referencing and integration - Suzy Morgan
- Validity banners and peer review - Rachael Arenstein
2:00– 3:00 Work time to code based on Instruction Sessions II & III - opportunity to implement the tips and tricks from the instruction session
3:00–3:30 Afternoon Refreshment Break
3:30– 4:30 Hack-a-thon – Free-time to work independently or in topic groups with Group Leaders
- Suzy Morgan - EMG
- Samantha Springer - Materials Testing
- Shelly Uhlir - Mountmaking
- Stephanie Watkins - PMG wiki
- Michele Derrick - CAMEO
January 2013 Edit-a-thon
December 16, 2012 site maintenance
The following work was completed on the site by contractor Ike Hecht of WikiWorks:
- Update MediaWiki version - The MediaWiki version was updated from 1.14.0 to 1.20.2, which is the latest stable version. The old version of MediaWiki together with its database is still available on the server in the /mediawiki-1.14 directory. Due to rewrite rules, this directory is currently inaccessible from the web.
- Update extensions - The following extensions were brought up to their latest versions:
- Math – modified to use the external script at : http://www.forkosh.com/mathtex.cgi
- The following extension was removed: Password Reset – This extension is currently incompatible with the new version of MediaWiki and was deemed unnecessary. It has since been largely replaced with core functionality.
- Password Reset replacement - Resetting passwords in MediaWiki is now largely provided by the Special:PasswordReset page. Users who have supplied email addresses can use this to reset their own passwords and Admins can use it to reset others’ passwords. If it is a requirement in the wiki to reset passwords for users who have not supplied email addresses, the options available will need discussion.
- Update skin - The custom monobook-based AIC skin was updated to work with the latest version of MediaWiki. A bug in the original skin that caused formatting errors on special pages was corrected. The “About our funder” box was moved from its erroneous placement in the skin into the Main Page’s code.
- URL structure - The URL structure was simplified. The wiki is now found at: www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Main_Page . However, the previous URL structure still works. For example: www.conservation-wiki.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page.
- The mediawiki extended toolbar was added
- Modifications were made to the navigation sidebar but these remain incomplete until the image files can be added fix the appearance.